Gmail Account Getting a Lot of Spam? Top Fixes
No one likes their inbox filled with spam emails. They cause unnecessary clutter and may even lead to atrocities like data corruption or data loss. Therefore, in this article, we will share the top solutions for you to fix the “Gmail account getting a lot of spam emails” issue in a smooth and hassle-free manner.
How Harmful Are Spam Mails?
Spam mail, also known as junk or unsolicited email, is unwanted emails sent to many different addresses in bulk. Most spam emails sent by advertisers are harmless, however, it is also a low-risk high-reward method for malicious actors to unleash cyberattacks such as Phishing. Here are a few reasons why should delete spam mail.
- Only opening a spam email can result in getting even more spam emails in your inbox.
- By clicking a suspicious link or attachment in the spam email, you can get exposed to several types of ransomware and malware.
- Harmful spam emails contain phishing links that help scammers get sensitive information out of users.
- Spam mails fill the user’s inbox with unnecessary clutter which is also why users find their Gmail storage full even after deleting emails.
Fix “Gmail Account Getting a Lot of Spam” Issue
- Unsubscribe from the unnecessary
- Report the spam emails
- Block the sender
- Create filters to segregate spam emails
- Back up your important data
So, these are the top five methods found from the depths of the internet. Let us move further in the blog and explain each of these solutions.
Unsubscribe from the Unnecessary
If a sender is sending you way too many emails, the first and foremost step is to unsubscribe from them. If the spamming goes out of hand, it is better to unsubscribe from that sender. Another reason to unsubscribe from a sender is that you simply do not want to receive any further information from them.
To unsubscribe from a sender or newsletter, simply locate the unsubscribe link in the email message. Now, this could turn out to be a hard task as the senders usually hide the links so fewer people will unsubscribe.
If you are unable to find the unsubscribe link in your email message, there is usually a Gmail Unsubscribe Button located at the bottom of the page or within the dropdown list in the email header. After you locate the button, simply click Unsubscribe and complete the remaining steps. Here, you may be asked to input more information or Gmail will redirect you to an unsubscribe page. And that is all you have to do unsubscribe if your Gmail account getting a lot of spam emails.
Report the Spam Email
- Open the spam email you want to report.
- Hover over the exclamation mark at the top.
- Click “Report Spam”.
And that is all for reporting the email. Hopefully, Gmail will notice this and you will stop receiving these spam emails any further. If it still doesn’t work, you can always block the sender.
Block the Sender
If the above solutions are no longer a resort to you, here is how to block the spam senders to stop the recurring unnecessary emails.
- Open the spam email.
- Open the menu by clicking on the three vertically stacked dots.
- Choose the “Block Name” option.
And that is all. Following this procedure, you can block or unblock senders whenever you prefer. This solution is great as blocking senders stop them from spamming you right away.
Create Filter to Segregate Spam Mail
- Open the email you want to filter.
- Click on the menu icon (three vertically stacked dots).
- Choose the “Filter Messages like These” option.
- You will then be redirected to an advance search pop-up.
- Fill out all the fields in the popup. You can choose to filter mail based on a specific subject or size.
- At last, choose what actions you want to apply to these emails. For instance, mark as read, skip the inbox or simply move them to the trash folder.
So, this is how you create filters to sieve out the spam emails from the rest of your inbox folder. However, ensure regularly removing spam mail, blocking unwanted senders, and unsubscribing from unnecessary newsletters, otherwise your inbox will end up cluttered again. Furthermore, to end this frequent battle with spam in your inbox, check out the next segment which contains a solution recommended by experts.
Expert Take on “Gmail Account Getting A Lot of Spam” Issue
Unlike most spam, some of them contain harmful links that may lead users to lose their precious data. Therefore, technical professionals recommend that users regularly back up their crucial data. And what better than an automated utility i.e., Corbett Gmail Backup Tool.
Not only this utility is extremely proficient in backing up user data in a secure manner, but it also offers backing up data in bulk mode which saves a significant amount of time and effort for users. Along with that, the utility offers numerous features that make it one of a kind. It provides two different search settings, Quick and Advanced which help in performing selective backups of users’ Gmail data. Moreover, the dedicated preview panel of the software comes with four different modes that display different attributes of user-uploaded data. The tool is compatible with all Windows OS versions. Let’s have a look at its prominent features and how this tool makes the user’s backup process easy and hassle-free.
Advantages of Using the Expert Utility
- Offers to backup user data in bulk mode which saves a significant amount of time and effort for users.
- One only needs to add their Gmail account username and App Password and the tool will automatically upload and preview the user’s mailbox data in the dedicated panel.
- The dedicated preview panel of the tool consists of five different view modes i.e., Content, Hex View, Properties, Message Header, and Raw Message. All modes display different attributes of user-uploaded data.
- For selective backup, the software offers its users two different search settings i.e., Quick and Advanced. Both of the search settings have their filtration processes.
- The Quick search setting helps users filter out their mailbox data based on a specific keyword. It highlights the neutered keyword in the search results.
- The Advanced search setting helps users filter their mailbox data based on different email fields, i.e., CC, BCC, Subject, Date Range, etc.
- One can use this utility on any Windows machine without any issues as it is compatible with all versions of Windows OS.
So There You Have It
In this article, we discussed the top solutions to use if your Gmail account getting a lot of spam. We shared popular manual approaches as well as an automated utility recommended by countless technical professionals. Experts recommend this utility as their favorite due to the high reliability it provides to its users.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this segment, the expert team of Corbett Software provides the answers to some of the commonly asked queries related to an influx of spam emails in Gmail.
Q1: Why is my Gmail getting so much spam all of a sudden?
A1: You may be getting a sudden influx of spam mail in Gmail due to your weak spam filters. Some of the other reasons for this issue could be that your email address is publicly leaked, shared, or sold. Along with that, it could also be because you clicked on a spam email and it send a signal to the sender that your account is active. This could also result in your email address being added to a mailing list for spam emails.
Q2: How Do I stop excessive spam in Gmail?
A2: Set automatic spam filters to reduce spam emails in your Gmail inbox. You can also report the spam emails and block the annoying spam senders. In addition to that, you can unsubscribe from the unwanted newsletters. The best solution is to use the above-mentioned expert-suggested automated utility to get rid of those pesky spam emails.
Q3: What happens if you open a spam email but don’t click anything?
A3: Even if all you did was open the spam email, hackers could still get the signal that your account is active and they could add your email address to the spam mailing list. Fortunately, just opening the spam email without clicking on any suspicious links will not compromise your sensitive data.
Q4: Is it better to block spam emails or just delete them?
A4: If you are suddenly getting lots of spam in Gmail then, you should outright block the annoying and harmful spam emails, especially the ones that are dangerous, persistent, or fake. Moreover, do remember to report any email scams you come across.