How to Extract Attachments from OST Files – Complete Solution
Microsoft Outlook is a robust email client with features like journal creation and automated email arrangement. We all know that Outlook saves data in two file formats – PST and OST. An Outlook data file (.ost), also called Offline Storage Table or OST in short, is a file format used to store a copy of your mailbox information offline on your local system. This blog explores the reasons and solutions to extract attachments from OST files. Read this blog till the end to understand the attachment extraction process for an OST data file.
Reasons For Extracting OST File Attachments
There are many reasons for extracting attachments from OST data file, and we will discuss some of them in the following points:
a. Data Backup – The primary reason to download email attachments from OST files is having a local backup of the email data for future reference. Having a backup of your OST file attachments on your computer enables you to access them in case of accidental data loss or backend problems from Microsoft’s side.
b. Save Account Storage – Another reason to extract attachments from OST files is have extra account storage for new emails on your Outlook account. You can download the attachments on your computer and delete them from the server, therefore creating extra space for sending and receiving emails.
c. Improved Outlook Performance – The third reason for downloading attachments from OST files is improving Outlook’s performance. Since attachments have large sizes, they occupy a considerable space in your Outlook profile. Having a local backup of attachments can help you save account space and improve Outlook’s functionality.
These reasons highlight the necessity to extract all attachments from OST files. We will now discuss the solutions for attachment extraction process, so keep reading the blog to know them.
Download Email Attachments from OST Files Manually
Manually extracting attachments from OST data file involves using the Outlook application for the attachment extraction process. The following points describe the process for the attachment downloading process using Outlook:
- Open the Outlook app on your computer.
- Select an email with attachments and open it.
- Choose an attachment and select Save All Attachments from the menu.
- Click Save to download them on your computer.
- Repeat the same process for other emails with attachments.
The manual process to download email attachments from OST files sounds easier for Outlook users, but it is quite tough and time-consuming. You have to manually extract attachments from each email, and ensure that all attachments get downloaded to your computer. Another problem with this method is your OST data file must be connected with the Exchange Server always, since a disconnected OST file becomes orphan and you can’t access an orphaned OST file.
Extract Attachments from OST Files Professionally
Since the manual solution to download attachments from OST files becomes avoidable due to the drawbacks mentioned above, we will discuss the professional method for extracting OST file attachments – automated software. The software we explore in this blog can successfully extract attachments from multiple OST data files without data loss. This software is Corbett Attachment Extractor.
Special Features of the Attachment Extractor Software
- Various Extraction Options – This software has three options for extracting attachments from OST files: Choose Files (selecting a single data file), Choose Folders (select a folder having the specific data files), and Open Configured Accounts (select an email account configured on a desktop-based email client like Outlook and Thunderbird).
- Selective File Format Extraction – The software can save attachments belonging to a specific file format. You can select the desired file format for extraction before the download process and safely extract them on your computer.
Steps to Extract Multiple OST File Attachments
1. Install the software and run it on your computer.
2. Click the Open menu, select Email Data Files and click on Outlook PST/OST Files to add the OST file.
3. Add the OST file to the software interface by clicking the Open button.
4. Click the Extract dropdown menu and select Attachments.
5. Type the file extension for specific extraction and click Save to extract attachments from OST files.
Watch this Video Guide to Know How to Extract OST File Email Attachments
We explored the reasons and solutions to extract attachments from OST files in this blog. The reasons mentioned here highlight the necessity to download OST file attachments safely. The solutions described in the blog are perfectly suitable for the attachment extraction process. However, the manual method’s drawbacks make it unusable for extracting attachments from OST files in bulk.
Therefore, the automated software described in the blog becomes the only safe option to extract Outlook OST file attachments. This software securely downloads OST file attachments to your computer, enabling you to have extra space for new emails in your Outlook account.