Migrate Gmail to Office 365 Account – Complete Guide
The purpose of this article is to explain how to migrate Gmail to Office 365 or Microsoft 365. You can perform a Google Workspace migration if you would like to migrate calendar and contact information in addition to mailbox data in Google Workspace.
We provide an overview of the migration process when we migrate your IMAP mailboxes to Microsoft 365 or Office 365. Upon familiarizing yourself with the contents of migrate Gmail emails to Office 365 procedure in this article, return to this topic to learn how to migrate mailboxes from Google Workspace Gmail to Microsoft 365 or Office 365 by using the Gmail Backup Tool. To complete IMAP migration steps, you must be an Office 365 or Microsoft 365 global admin.
Google Workspace Mailbox Migration via Microsoft 365’s Administration Center
In the Microsoft 365 admin center, you can use the setup wizard to migrate IMAP accounts. To learn how to migrate Gmail to Office 365 or migrate to IMAP, visit the Microsoft 365 admin center.
IMAP migration migrates only emails, not calendars and contacts. Using Microsoft 365 or Office 365, users can import email, contacts, and other mailbox information from their own computers.
All account owners must create an app password to access their Gmail or Google Workspace accounts through Microsoft 365 or Office 365. Google does not allow a connection to Outlook solely using a password because it considers Outlook to be a less secure app. You can connect your Google Workspace account to Outlook and Microsoft 365 or Office 365 by following the instructions. The users of your Gmail will also need to be able to enable 2-step verification to migrate Gmail emails to Office 365.
Work on Gmail Migration
You should complete the Gmail to Office 365 migration tasks in the following order.
Read More: How to Migrate Gmail to G Suite Account
1st Step: Ensure that Your Domain is Yours by Verifying Ownership
First, verify that the domain you used for Google Workspace accounts belongs to you with Microsoft 365 or Office 365.
In addition to using your own custom domain, you can use your company name.onmicrosoft.com which is included with your Microsoft 365 or Office 365 subscription. This task can be omitted if you add users individually or in bulk as described in Add users individually or in bulk. It is, however, more common for people to use their own domain name.
As you set up Microsoft 365 or Office 365, you will be required to verify your domain. Your domain host provider will provide you with a TXT record during setup.
2nd Step: Microsoft 365 or Office 365 Users Need to be Added
To migrate Gmail to Office 365 account, one or several users can be added at a time. Users are also licensed when they are added. Migration of email to Office 365 or Microsoft 365 requires each user to have their own mailbox. In order to use their mailboxes, users must also have a license that includes an Exchange Online plan.
3rd Step: To Migrate Gmail Mailboxes – Create a List of Them
For Gmail to Office 365 migration task, you will need to create a migration file containing a list of Gmail mailboxes you wish to migrate to Office 365 or Microsoft 365. Excel is the most convenient way to create a migration file, so in these instructions, we will use Excel. You can use any version of Excel 2013, Excel 2010, or Excel 2007.
It’s not necessary to migrate all Gmail mailboxes at once or migrate Gmail emails to Office 365 in bulk. It is okay to do them in batches at your convenience. The migration file can contain up to 50,000 mailboxes (one row per user). Files of any size can be uploaded. The file size is unlimited.
1. Using your Administrator username and password, log into the Google Workspace admin console.
2. Choose Users once you’ve signed in.
3. The email address of each user can be identified by selecting each user. Make a note of the address.
4. Go to Users > Active users in the Microsoft 365 admin center. Pay attention to the Username column. In a moment, you’ll need this information.
5. Start Excel.
6. Use the following screenshot as an example to create the data migration file in Excel. Begin with the headings in row 1. Make sure they match the image exactly and don’t contain spaces. The exact heading names are:
- In cell A1 EmailAddress.
- In cell B1 UserName.
- In cell C1 Password.
7. You will then need to enter the email address, username, and app password for each mailbox you would like to migrate. Each row should contain one mailbox.
8. Close Excel after saving the file as a CSV file.
4th Step: Connect Your Microsoft 365 or Office 365 Account to Gmail
Successful migration of Gmail mailboxes requires Microsoft 365 or Office 365 to connect and communicate with Gmail. Using a migration endpoint, Microsoft 365, or Office 365 accomplishes this. It refers to the settings that are used to create a connection to migrate mailboxes. In the Classic Exchange admin center, you must create the migration endpoint to migrate Gmail emails to Office 365 as follows.
1. Visit the Classic Exchange Admin Center.
2. You can find More in the EAC under Recipients > Migration. A migration endpoint is an endpoint on a migration.
3. Select New from the menu. An endpoint for migration needs to be created.
4. Choose IMAP as the migration endpoint type on the Select the migration endpoint type page.
5. Keep the default settings on the IMAP migration configuration page and set the IMAP server to imap.gmail.com.
6. Then click Next. As part of the migration process, the migration service tests the connection to Gmail using the settings. A page called Enter general information appears if the connection is successful.
7. Type a Migration endpoint name on the Enter general information page, such as Test5-endpoint. To use the default values, leave the other two boxes blank.
8. In order to create the migration endpoint, click New.
5th Step: Migrate Gmail to Office 365 Using Classic Exchange Admin Center (Classic EAC)
Migration batches are used to migrate groups of Gmail mailboxes simultaneously to Microsoft 365 or Office 365. As mentioned in Step 4: Connect Microsoft 365 or Office 365 to Gmail, the batch is composed of the mailboxes you specified in the migration file.
A new EAC does not have the option of migrating to IMAP.
1. Navigate to Admin centers > Exchange in the Microsoft 365 admin center.
2. Go to Recipients > Migration in the Exchange admin center.
3. Select the New icon. > Migrate to Exchange Online.
4. Choose IMAP migration > Click Next.
5. You can specify the migration file you created on the Select the user’s page by clicking Browse. If you choose an Office 365 or Microsoft 365 migration file.
6. Upon validation, Microsoft 365 or Office 365 displays the number of Gmail mailboxes to migrate in accordance with the number of users listed in the migration file.
7. Hit Next.
8. Click Next after selecting the migration endpoint you created in the previous step on the Set the migration endpoint page.
9. Select Next to proceed with the IMAP migration configuration. Please accept the default values.
10. The name of the migration batch (without spaces or special characters) must be entered on the Move configuration page (for example, Test5-migration). It is the name of the migration file that is displayed by default as the migration batch name. A list of migration batch names is displayed on the migration dashboard after a migration batch has been created.
11. Please click the next button
12. The batch must be started.
- The migration reports can be sent to other users by selecting Browse. You will receive migration reports by email by default. On the properties page of the migration batch, you can also access the migration reports.
- Select Automated batch start > new. As soon as the status synchronization begins, the migration begins.
6th Step: Update Your DNS Records to Direct Gmail to Office 365
In order to deliver email, email systems use a DNS record called an MX record. As part of the email migration process, your MX record is pointed to your Gmail account. It’s time to point your MX record to Microsoft 365 or Office 365 now that your email migration has been completed. Change your MX record so that Microsoft 365 or Office 365 mailboxes are used to deliver email to users at your custom domain.
Recommend Reading: How to Send Gmail Messages to WhatsApp?
Method 2: Professional Approach to Migrate G Suite to Office 365 Account
After reading the above-mentioned Migarte Gmail emails to Office 365 manual procedure. You can say that it is not an easy task to perform. However, Understanding the technicalities and then being able to perform it without confusion is only possible for a technical or an IT Administrative person to handle.
If you are a non-technical person with a non-technical background. Then, I highly suggest you avoid the manual procedure for your Gmail to Office 365 Migration. Or you can perform this migration of Gmail to Office 365 by using the fully automatic software solution.
There is a safe and secure Gmail Migration Software that can effortlessly migrate your Gmail emails to Office 365 account directly with complete attachments, contacts, calendars, and other metadata as well.
Now, follow the below step-by-step procedure to migrate Gmail 3to Office 365 accounts.
1. Begin the process by downloading the utility in your currently working operating system. and hitting the Open button.
2. Then select the Email Accounts and then Add Account option.
3. As soon as you hit the add account option, the tool will show you a pop-up window to enter your Gmail account credentials.
4. After login into your Gmail account, the tool will start uploading all the files and folders into the preview panel.
5. You have complete freedom to view the Gmail emails in multiple preview panels with attachments.
6. Then click the Export button and select the Office 365 option.
7. In the export window, enter your Office 365 email credentials and enable all the advanced options before migrating Gmail to your Office 365 account.
8. Finally, click Save to begin the process of Gmail to Office 365 Migration.
After reading this complete article, I hope that you can easily migrate Gmail emails to Office 365 accounts by using both manual and fully automatic solutions. The long and lengthy procedure to manually transfer Gmail emails to Office 365 account requires a user’s both time and effort. Also, without having a technology background may lead you in danger. However, I personally recommend you go with the software solution for your Gmail to Office 365 migration process.
Because the second approach is safe and secure. Also, it is easy to perform without requiring any additional knowledge and software.
- Migrate Yandex to Office 365 with a Secure Solution